Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Interruptions


As I said in my previous post I need to start plotting a few of my novels that I have half planned.

The problem with this is that I have the attention span of a two year old and every time I start working on it and making progress, I get interrupted and all my brilliant plans flush down the toilet that is my short term memory.

For example, at work in my last two weeks a person from a team that isn't mine asked me to scan an entire binder. This was not something I overly wanted to do. For one thing, its not my job to scan things for those people. Second, I had a lot of other things to do and taking the four hours he said it would take was not really an option for me. Lastly, they had a brand new admin on their team that is actually supposed to do it. I told them I would show her how to do it but that's it because I was busy.

Then when we finally had our meeting to do the scanning she gave me an excuse of being too busy. That was fine she seemed pretty busy and as I understood there was some big due date that had popped out of no where as they always do. So we rescheduled until the next day. The next day came around and I wandered to her office to ask if she was ready, she told me she needed to go outside for a smoke. NEEDED to. She said she also had to write an email once she got back so that we will have to postpone. She then didn't come see me for the rest of the day. The next day she came to see me and was like, "how about I come this afternoon". I said fine. So finally, a half hour before I leave in the afternoon she came and got me. I showed her how to scan but there were issues with the memory stick she was using. So I was like, "here's another, use this tomorrow" and I left.

I cam in the next day and the day was passing along nicely. I was nice and busy enough cleaning up my office and figuring out what to do with all my stuff. And she came by again saying "Well I will come get you later to scan this". Me thinking to myself, hey didn't I already show you this? But I agreed.

On my lunch break on this day I pulled out my notebook and began to work out the plot of my novel. I had been having a lot of issues with what the conflict was going to be and why, but I figured it out by getting through an idea for a sequel, then I knew how I needed it to end. As I was jotting down everything as fast as I can, guess who stops by opening my door without knocking and barges in? You guessed it, new girl. She barged in unannounced and says "You ready to go now!"

All my plans flushed away immediately and I no longer remembered how I planned it would end. For all we know this woman is responsible for my ever-persisting failure in accomplishing anything. Not really because I have only known her for a week or two but I was super pissed. I am sure I can remember it once I start working on it again, but its really frustrating.

Does this ever happen to anyone else? Are you ever in the middle of something and someone who has no common courtesy just interrupts you and steals all your creative genius? I am obviously joking I am not a genius, but it is still a piss off. My mediocrity is completely dependent on my average amount of effort. If I can't even put in an average amount of effort I will become less then mediocre and that's not good at all. Anyways, I should do something today so the when Dave gets home I am not in the same place he left me. And by do something, I mean take a nap.


1 comment:

  1. Love the new header part :) xoxo Miss driving you to work every day, I hope you're enjoying your time off work - see you soon! xoxo
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Shopping is Best When Done in the Comfort of Your Sweatpants!